Skip to main content

What apps and tools for reading practice?

It is not always easy to split all the skills into separate entities and practise them individually but you can build up a catalogue of tools and apps that you regularly turn to for specific tools.  In my recent blog post I summed up a few useful tools for listening and I would also turn to these for reading practice.  

Now, with a more direct focus on the skill of reading and comprehension here's a summary of some of the tools and apps that I might turn to.  Quizlet would be my first port of call if I want to start building up a foundation of vocabulary knowledge.  Quizlet is available as a web-based tool and as an app and can be embedded into a VLE such as Wikispaces. The flexibility of this site is such that you can include pictures, use lists created by others or create your own lists.  For instance, it is quite easy to find long lists of examination vocabulary at every level and every exam board and these can be accessed by anyone (try this link for I/GCSE vocabulary) Obviously this is excellent for revision purposes or preparation for a particular practice paper. This tool is not restricted only to vocabulary for reading comprehension; it works as well for listening comprehension too.  As mentioned all levels can make use of this excellent tool and it would be possible for students to input their own vocabulary as well which would provide a further challenge for some.

Duolingo available on the web and as an app is very versatile offering translation exercises and transliteration of spoken text to written text which requires a grammatical understanding and it provides excellent online reading practice.  There are a vast array of texts in many languages that can simply be read or translated.  An added benefit of this site is the ability to upload your own text from the internet and discuss any issues concerning the text or language with other interested parties and translators. 

My final suggestion is Metro News.  Many of us have seen these newspapers clogging up the gutters outside stations at the end of a busy day. However, the papers are available online (and as apps) around the world in a variety of languages (the main page has link to all the other portals) and the language is accessible to students in years 12 & 13.  As a newspaper, of course, there are not any specific exercises, these are for us to create but we can then tailor them directly to suit the needs of our students.  Each country has a regional version of the paper and within these articles can be found on the usual topic areas (headline news, economy, sport, health and so on).  
 
These are just some of what is available - there are plenty more.  What's your favourite?

Popular posts from this blog

Does education really need technology?

There may be many with a view on what makes for a good lesson.  Most would not argue with the ideas clearly expounded upon by Hattie and Yates (1) that a good lesson starts with an initial review of knowledge, moves on to a formal presentation, guided practice, initial feedback, independent practice and a follow-up review.  In terms of my own practice this is a model that I follow.  Not via any particular tools because I know that my target audience need variety and must not settle into any type of formulaic process.  Thus, I follow the steps but use different methods. Far be it for me to claim that this effective lesson cannot be achieved without technology.  Having started my teaching career over 20 years ago I know that it is possible to be an effective practitioner and deliver a lesson where progress is made using old-fashioned methods that may well have included some worksheets created on the trusty (rusty?) Banda machine.  Nor am I here to advocate that this process is more effe…

It's Quizlet - but not as we know it.

This past academic year I did not use my iPad in lessons as much as I would have liked.  Previously I have given out my one iPad and let students use it to create little digital postcards or books using the book creator app or using tellagami they made spoken presentations hiding their anxiety behind an avatar of their making.  Each student has then shown the next student how to make such a presentation using the prescribed tools.  This has been a system that has worked well and given all the students a chance to be creative and enhance their learning and demonstrate their knowledge.
However, this year, just past, I have focused more on a few tools such as google classroom, which you can read about here and here. I have also used Edmodo a great deal as my students have been involved in a collaborative project with students in France.  Edmodo is an excellent and safe platform for a project such as this. Both Google Classroom and Edmodo allow for collaboration and give opportunities too…

iDoceo - marking in the 21st century

The very title of this blog may lead you to believe that I am an out and out technophile.  To a certain extent, this is true; I love to make the most of technology in my classroom and redefine what I am able to do with my students.  Increasingly, I explore technology options for managing my own day to day planning.  I can see and understand the benefits of google drive and documents for me when communicating and collaborating with colleagues and friends.  A shared document is easy to work on and I appreciate the way I can link in photos and so on.  This being the case when I was introduced to iDoceo I could see so much potential.  It was clear to me that I could do away with my traditional mark book and use this new option.
Firstly, I was easily able to import the class spreadsheet from our school information system along with all sorts of details that I wanted to use. 
Once my mark book was in place it did not take me long to sort out my calendar linking it to my school outlook calen…