Skip to main content

New to iPad/Tablet - where to start?

This blog post is for anyone who has just got a new iPad or Tablet that they want to use in their classrooms.  Given that I am a modern languages teacher my focus will be on tools that are great to use in MFL but many of the tools are perfect for other disciplines too.
There are a plethora of apps that are perfect but it can be hard to know where to start.  I think it is wise to choose a few and work on them until you feel confident then build in some others.

Here's what I would do if I was starting over.
Have a look at moldiv (also available on tablet).  This simple tool helps you create fantastic collages, edit the photos you use and add text.  For example:




There are some good opportunities here to create cartoon strips.   Once you have created your image and saved it to your camera roll you might consider putting it into @Book Creator. This is a tool with lots of good features which I have written about before here but the recent ability to add speech bubbles with sound makes this even more useful for the MFL classroom.  Definitely one to consider!

The next app worth exploring is Explain Everything. This tool allows you to create videos and as the website says 'animate your thinking'.  It is a screencasting app that you can use to create videos for your students to watch in preparation for a lesson as done here:
If you can, why not let your students use Explain Everything to create their own explanatory videos?  Nothing more powerful than getting students to create their own content and then share it with a wider audience.

Now, what about a good mind map? Of course, there's no point in using an app for this if you can do it just as well as on paper.  Nonetheless, there are some mindmapping tools that allow you to collaborate and share ideas and comment on each other's work which is a valuable part of learning.  There are many mindmapping tools out there and you can read here for more ideas on potential tools. However, for me, a great place to start is with Popplet.  It is browser based but available as an app too and is easy to operate.  Each note you make (it's called a popple by the way) allows you to input as much info as you wish and you can insert pictures and links to websites too. 


I could not finish this post without mentioning +iDoceo (idoceo website).  I have written about this post before here but in short this app is the perfect teacher's assistant.  Providing you with a place to put your lesson plans and have a great visual overview of these, a random selector and a seating planner as well as a place to store grades, make notes on the work completed, work out statistics and take a visual record of your student's work this is a must-have app. I am not sure how I managed before with my old mark book. 
What tools would you use?  Let me know in the comment box below.

Popular posts from this blog

Google classroom - using the question feature

I have in previous posts shared my enthusiasm for Google classroom.  It is a perfect tool to enable collaboration amongst students, to ensure fast and effective feedback and at the very least to keep tabs on the work your students have and haven't done.

Google Classroom allows you to post an announcement or set an assignment attaching any kind of document you want, be it spreadsheet, document, picture or presentation. The attachment can be copied for each individual student in your class and they can then work on the document whilst you are able to keep tabs on the work they are doing.  Furthermore you can make comments on their work, having highlighted any particular issues and talk to them directly via the chat tool. Other options allow you to reuse any previous post if so desired. However, one element that I like but I have not really made the most of is the question feature. 
This is a very simple tool where you simply post a question,  set a due date (or not, as you wish) and …

It's Quizlet - but not as we know it.

This past academic year I did not use my iPad in lessons as much as I would have liked.  Previously I have given out my one iPad and let students use it to create little digital postcards or books using the book creator app or using tellagami they made spoken presentations hiding their anxiety behind an avatar of their making.  Each student has then shown the next student how to make such a presentation using the prescribed tools.  This has been a system that has worked well and given all the students a chance to be creative and enhance their learning and demonstrate their knowledge.
However, this year, just past, I have focused more on a few tools such as google classroom, which you can read about here and here. I have also used Edmodo a great deal as my students have been involved in a collaborative project with students in France.  Edmodo is an excellent and safe platform for a project such as this. Both Google Classroom and Edmodo allow for collaboration and give opportunities too…

iDoceo - marking in the 21st century

The very title of this blog may lead you to believe that I am an out and out technophile.  To a certain extent, this is true; I love to make the most of technology in my classroom and redefine what I am able to do with my students.  Increasingly, I explore technology options for managing my own day to day planning.  I can see and understand the benefits of google drive and documents for me when communicating and collaborating with colleagues and friends.  A shared document is easy to work on and I appreciate the way I can link in photos and so on.  This being the case when I was introduced to iDoceo I could see so much potential.  It was clear to me that I could do away with my traditional mark book and use this new option.
Firstly, I was easily able to import the class spreadsheet from our school information system along with all sorts of details that I wanted to use. 
Once my mark book was in place it did not take me long to sort out my calendar linking it to my school outlook calen…