Skip to main content

Behind every good lesson... part 2 - HOTS


As this post explains, when I am preparing lessons the first and most important factor that guides my planning is pedagogy. This is true even though I am a true fan of embedding technology into my practice.  Technology is never the driver or the star, it is a vehicle. 
In this post you can see how I have sown the foundations to a new topic and my students have a solid vocabulary base on which to build.  I may have used active learning strategies or pair work activities, listening exercises and reading comprehensions - to name but a few.  At some point in the process I will have embraced a technological tool because when MOTS activities are necessary, technology can meet this need perfectly.

I am now at the point in my planning when I want my students to use this new language and also combine it with previous knowledge to create new work that demonstrates their progress.  I am looking for some knowledge construction.  There are many ways to go about this and I still may not feel the need to turn to technology. On the other hand technology can provide me with many opportunities that enhance the process and bring language learning alive.  
In the first instance I may still turn to taskmagic so students can complete some gap-fill exercises that provide  them with model answers (or I may do this with my trusty interactive whiteboard where there are opportunities to be a little more creative). I may create a video using explain everything and embed into educanon so that students can watch and listen to a sample created product whilst responding to some questions.  These sample models are there to guide and scaffold the learning.  Here's one I made earlier on the perfect tense for year 8. 
As students prepare their written work or presentations the chance to collaborate with each other via Google Classroom should not be ignored.  The feedback process is vastly improved as students collaborate with each other, peer assess, make suggestions and improve their work.  All this can, of course, be achieved in class, on paper, but the speed and immediacy provided for through Google Classroom is  a wonderful advantage, in my opinion.
This stage of the process can also be achieved through a tool such as Edmodo where language learning can gain even greater purpose as students interact with language 'experts' from other countries.  I have spoken here of the efficacy and usefulness of Edmodo, first in terms of collaboration and secondly as a medium to complete telecollaborative projects.  The idea that students can communicate and use their new-found language and skills with foreign language students from France or Spain is a powerful one and should be explored if the opportunity arises.
A final 'product' can be written, recorded or filmed using any number of apps.  For written work, consider a poster making app such as canva, grafio, word swag or phoster to name but a few.    Grafio will allow your students to embed some sound too so they can verbally annotate their written with work or some images that they might use.    Here is a very simple example of what some work might look like using Grafio. 
 

















It is possible to see the potential for creativity with such a tool.
A presentation might fit the bill too - use Prezi, Emaze, or perhaps Google Slides which can be used within Google Classroom and can thus be used collaboratively.  These presentation and poster making tools mean that previous written tasks can be redefined and students can be challenged to create something that allows them to use a number of skills, for example, both speaking and writing within the same product.  
There are many options that I did not consider here.  I know, for example, that I have not mentioned Aurasma and I can see how a news report could allow students to demonstrate more than their writing skills if they also embed a spoken element via Aurasma.
Technology can bring a task alive for students and allows them to push themselves to achieve more - which, after all, is our aim.  The important point to remember however is that the technology is not the driver in lesson planning.  Pedagogy is - technology is just a tool - but what a great one!









Popular posts from this blog

Does education really need technology?

There may be many with a view on what makes for a good lesson.  Most would not argue with the ideas clearly expounded upon by Hattie and Yates (1) that a good lesson starts with an initial review of knowledge, moves on to a formal presentation, guided practice, initial feedback, independent practice and a follow-up review.  In terms of my own practice this is a model that I follow.  Not via any particular tools because I know that my target audience need variety and must not settle into any type of formulaic process.  Thus, I follow the steps but use different methods. Far be it for me to claim that this effective lesson cannot be achieved without technology.  Having started my teaching career over 20 years ago I know that it is possible to be an effective practitioner and deliver a lesson where progress is made using old-fashioned methods that may well have included some worksheets created on the trusty (rusty?) Banda machine.  Nor am I here to advocate that this process is more effe…

It's Quizlet - but not as we know it.

This past academic year I did not use my iPad in lessons as much as I would have liked.  Previously I have given out my one iPad and let students use it to create little digital postcards or books using the book creator app or using tellagami they made spoken presentations hiding their anxiety behind an avatar of their making.  Each student has then shown the next student how to make such a presentation using the prescribed tools.  This has been a system that has worked well and given all the students a chance to be creative and enhance their learning and demonstrate their knowledge.
However, this year, just past, I have focused more on a few tools such as google classroom, which you can read about here and here. I have also used Edmodo a great deal as my students have been involved in a collaborative project with students in France.  Edmodo is an excellent and safe platform for a project such as this. Both Google Classroom and Edmodo allow for collaboration and give opportunities too…

iDoceo - marking in the 21st century

The very title of this blog may lead you to believe that I am an out and out technophile.  To a certain extent, this is true; I love to make the most of technology in my classroom and redefine what I am able to do with my students.  Increasingly, I explore technology options for managing my own day to day planning.  I can see and understand the benefits of google drive and documents for me when communicating and collaborating with colleagues and friends.  A shared document is easy to work on and I appreciate the way I can link in photos and so on.  This being the case when I was introduced to iDoceo I could see so much potential.  It was clear to me that I could do away with my traditional mark book and use this new option.
Firstly, I was easily able to import the class spreadsheet from our school information system along with all sorts of details that I wanted to use. 
Once my mark book was in place it did not take me long to sort out my calendar linking it to my school outlook calen…